Re: Breather hose - what size?

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Breather hose - what size?
From: "Mark Shone" <shone@singnet.com.sg>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 16:56:50 +0800
Frank Sperling wrote

> The hose from the oil separator breather (the pipe in the front of
> the engine) to the outlet on the Z-S carb on my 79B is a doozie to
> replace.  On the carb end, it takes about a 1/4" hose, on the engine
> end, it takes about a 1/2" hose.
>
> Can't find any hose to replace it!  Right now it's a composite of
> different size hoses loosly clamped together (not OEM!).  Moss
> suggests a hose (their number 182-188), but it only fits on the carb
> size and is too small to go over the breather pipe.

Sorry Frank not an answer, as my MG has twin SU carbs. However, my car too
had a mess of pieces of pipe and when I recently sent it for a service the
mechanic removed the mess, blocking the ends of the pipes at the carb end
and leaving the engine end unattached (should I temporarily block it?). Is
this a common thing to do? Or is it just mechanics in Singapore?

I have ordered the parts from Moss and plan to replace them as soon as they
arrive. In the meantime I was wondering if anyone can enlighten me to the
purpose of the pipes? (My car sees to run fine without them!)

It's always a good idea to know what it is you're fixing!

Mark Shone - 70 MGB GT "Oscar"
shone@singnet.com.sg