MG Move/Paint Goes Bad

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MG Move/Paint Goes Bad
From: mgguyc100@ra.isisnet.com (Williams/MG Guy)
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 22:13:06 -0300 (ADT)
On Sept 25/96, Sean Sexton wrote:

>My recent transport is a bit of a story.
>I left Brunswick Maine in February for Pensacola Fl (arrived same month,
>different season).  I left Brunswick where it was very cold,
*snip*
>When the mover
>opened the  van in Pensacola, under and all around the car were large pieces
>of flaked off paint.  Assumption is the change from very cold to warm did
>some kind of flexing, contracting, whatever, that caused it to peal.
*snip*
>Could be an isolated incident.  Worth noting is that most of the paint peals
>came from areas that had been repainted in the cars former life.

I've experienced something similar during a move from central Ontario to the
Atlantic coast of Nova Scotia. My '70 BGT was painted (and magnificently
so)in 1980. About a month after our arrival here in Nova Scotia in 1994, I
noticed what I thought were water doplets along the side of the car. To my
horror - they were bubbles under the paint - all over the car! Upon further
investigation I discovered that the type of body fill used to skim over
repaired areas (something called "Lighting Fast" or similar) during the
restoration process experiences a breakdown over the years, and it's
composition changes to an moisture absorbing substance! Yikes!! Holding
photos of the restoration in 1980 next to the car today, one can see where
the work was done now corresponds to where the bubbles are.

Now the car has to be stripped to bare metal (it didn't really need to be
before)and repainted. An expensive lesson in the effects of changes of
altitude and climate.

(Hey...wasn't that a Jimmy Buffet album??)

Terry "Don't Call Me Bubbles" Williams
'70 B(ubbling)GT
'68 roadster