Midge Clutch Slave Cylinder Push Rod

To: "'MG'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Midge Clutch Slave Cylinder Push Rod
From: "Byers, Steve" <Byers@engr2.nadepcp.navy.mil>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 96 10:39:00 E
MG experts:

A curious thing --  during restoration of my '73 Midget with 1275 engine, I
replaced the clutch slave cylinder push rod with a new one from Victoria
British because of an excessively worn clevis pin hole.  According to their
catalogue, there are three different lengths, depending on the specific
engine (1098, 1275, 1500, etc.), so I ordered and received the 3" one for
1275.

When the restoration reached the point where I could fire up the engine, I
discovered the clutch would not release.  Since the car hasn't been operated
in three years, I thought the clutch must be frozen, but the usual methods
failed to release it.  Then I thought about the pushrod.  When I replaced
the new one with the old one, the clutch worked just fine.  A comparison of
the old with the new showed that the old one was 1/2" longer.  Also,
apparently an extension had been skillfully welded onto the end of the old
rod.  Well, what the heck...Vicky B. exchanged the one I bought for the 1500
rod, which is 3-1/4".  It operates the clutch all right, but it is still
shorter than my original rod, and much skinnier.  It just kind of flops
around in the rubber boot in the end of the slave cylinder.

I rebuilt the clutch in this car in 1989 and installed a rebuilt
transmission from Vicky B. but just reused the pushrod that was in the car
when I bought it (1987).  The car has the original engine.
Anybody have any idea Vot Giffs?

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC
byers@engr2.nadepcp.navy.mil