Re: Odd Auto Shops

To: MR JOHN P ELWOOD <WJAD81D@prodigy.com>
Subject: Re: Odd Auto Shops
From: Rick Hoefle <NamasteRH@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 23:23:14 -0400
MR JOHN P ELWOOD wrote:

> It isn't often that I pay someone to fix something I could fix myslef,
>  but I just haven't had the time lately to work on either my MGB, or
> my Magnette MK III.  The inspection stickers were expired anyway, so
> I figured it was time to have that done and I'd let them fix some
> other stuff while they were at it.  I take it to a local Sunoco
> station that has a rusting Jaguar XK150, a TR6, and a couple of 'Bs
> around back.  I figured they might be able to fix British cars.
>    The Magnette was taken in need of an inspection.  I called to see
> if it was done, and they said no.  But when I drove past it had the
> sticker earlier.  They still had to re-bush the front suspension., it
> failing point, but it had a sticker anyway.  I then went past later
> to find the car missing.  It was missing all Monday Tuesday and
> Wednesday, when it re-appeared witha $70 bill.  It also managed to
> rack up 80 miles on top of the 40 he put on it last year when he
> "inspected" it.
>    I took the MGB over Wednesday, and all it needed was an inspection.
>   I guess three years without a repair is a long time, but it is
> going to cost me $450 in repairs this time!  Needs new rear bearings,
> a new rear wheel brake cylinder, new master cylinder, a new relief
> valve,  because he says it's blowing oil out of the dipstick the
> pressure is so high, and lots of other little things.
>    I dont' mind his prices, he does good work, but now this car has
> dissapeared.  It hasn't been at the shop in three days.  I don't know
> where it is!  I'm just wondering, what is this guy doing with my car?
>  Admittedly, it's a nice MGB.  It was the May '94 Hemmings Feature
> Car, and looks excellent.  I thought it ran excellent too, but
> apparently not.  But, is this guy weird or what?  Does anybody else's
> mechanic take thier car on long trips?  Does anybody elses mechanic
> take thier car HOME to work on it?  Tell me you mechanic stories.
>
>  John

John:
My mechanic has told me that once in awhile he gets cars sent over to
him for work, from other shops, because he has tools and/or experience
that the others do not.

I offer this as one possibility, but I would certainly inquire of this
guy as to the whereabouts of your car.  The explanation had better be
good!
--

Rick Hoefle 1964 Tiger B9470508 - HIS
            1969 MGC            - HERS