Re: Overheating

To: MG list <mgs@triumph.cs.utah.edu>
Subject: Re: Overheating
From: "James D. Howard II" <jhoward@argus.lowell.edu>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 1996 08:36:04 -0700 (MST)
Someone mentioned that 212F is not overheating, and asked if it dropped
to 190 when I slowed to 40-60 mph.  It does drop, and I worry about the
212 when it is only 81F outside.  Here is AZ, it gets hotter than that.
I already had it boil over while climbing a grade on the Interstate.  My
Dad's old 67 B never climbed about 190, even on a 120 degree day in Okalhoma.

The temperature gauge is good, for a capilary tube unit, anyway.  I put
it in a pot of boiling water with a lab thermometer to check it.  The
sender is integral to it - not a separate sender like the electric ones
on later cars.

Current suspect is distributor advance curve.

James Howard
Flagstaff, AZ