PCV valve '67B

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: PCV valve '67B
From: Bill Glanville <glanvill@FRONTIERNET.NET>
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 1996 20:36:49 -0700
Went on a 170 mile tour of Western NY with the MG Car Club
Western NY Centre today ,our clubs annual Fall Follige Tour. 36 British
cars, 1 wann'b(Cobra kit), 1 German, 2 US iron. Almost everyone
congradulated me on the fact that my 'B had reached an age that allowed
it to smoke. (ha,ha).
        Last Sunday it ran an autocross with no signs of bad breath. So
what was wrong today. On our lunch stop I popped the mushroom shaped PCV
apart and discovered the insides coated with oil(1/4 cup?). I swabbed it
out and put the PCV back together. The car ran smoke free for a few miles
then it started emitting the blue fog again. On our second stop I mopped
the PCV again but also with the engine ideling I discovered that when I
removed the oil filler cap engine speed increased slightly.
        Could the PCV and the oil fill cap be the gremlins causing the
smoking? How is this type of PCV supposed to work? How do I verify the
system is working or not? I probably just answered my own question but I
thought I'd ask the list since it has more than likely happened to
someone else.
        Thanks