Re: 77 B Fan Problem

To: James <dirmeyer@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: 77 B Fan Problem
From: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 1996 21:30:13 -0500
James wrote:

> I got my 77B with only one electric fan and when it failed I replaced it
> with a 12" fan from Imperial.  Instead of using the sensor that Imperial
> supplied I decided to use the temp sensor that powered the fans in the car.
>  After testing the wires, I found that the temp switch was positive
> (confirmed with the wiring diagram as well).  I snipped the black wire from
> the switch to the OEM fan and connected this to the new fan, and then ran a
> new ground wire.  This ran fine for a week but then the fan died.  After a
> few minutes of poking around I found this:
>
> 6V current was running through wires, but when I connected the fan it
> dropped to 0 with no fan action.
>
> The wire coming from the temp switch was now ground???
>
> Running a line directly from the 35 amp fuse ran the fan fine, using the
> same ground wire.
>
> What happened???

James -
        Just a theory, but I suspect that your temp switch has failed.  It
probably has developed a high internal resistance - which is why you are
measuring 6V instead of 12V with the fan disconnected and 0V when the
fan is there.  My original switch was bad when I first started the car
after a rebuild.  Ordered a new switch - it lasted about 3 weeks (200
miles) and failed also.  The fans were only drawing about 10 amps
total.  Don't know what the switch is rated, but I opened the failed
one; the contacts are rather light duty looking.  I added a 30 amp
relay, with the temp switch controlling the relay and the relay
supplying the voltage to the dual fans.  So far, working well.

Wayne Kube
'79B
Plano, TX