oil catch tank

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: oil catch tank
From: homestay@infolearn.com.au (Syl's Sydney Homestay)
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 1996 00:18:52 +1000 (EST)
To satisfy scruiteneering for periodical sporting events I'm designing an
oil catch tank for my road going TC.

Not wanting it to be a permanent fixture detracting from the general
originality of the engine bay I'm tending towards mounting it on the
battery box adjacent to the coil location.

I intend to make up a metal strap which straddles the front of the battery
box as detailed below so that the weight of the battery will hold it in
place without the need to drill any holes in the firewall.

Something like this if you can see what I mean:

                        _
                        11  1
                battery 11  1
                    ____11__1

Now there will need be two feeds into this tank. One from the engine
breather and the other from the valve or rocker cover which on my car is
not connected to the original air cleaner arrangement, as I run sports
cleaners.

Now my questions are these:

        (a)     What capacity should this catch tank be ? ( I reckon I can
                get 200 cu.in (approx 4" x 4" x 7" - about half a 500g corn
                flakes packet) without it looking unsightly); and

        (b)     What problems am I likely to have with the engine breather
                having to vent uphill into the catch tank?

        (c)     Any suggestions as to the best method of depressurising the
                catch tank. I'm trying to do this some other way than just
                drilling holes the top.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Paul
TC 6087