Re: Alternators

To: mgs@autox.team.net, baker@island.islandnet.com
Subject: Re: Alternators
From: kboetzer@auspex.com (Ken Boetzer)
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 1996 09:13:49 -0700
> Does anyone have experience with installing a Delco alternator in a late B.
> A friend just fit one in his TR8 and he is pleased with the result.
> Jack Baker
> 75 MGB
> 85 300 ZX T
>  from Oak Bay in
> Beautiful B.C. Canada

Jack,

Yes, I polluted my MGB with a Delco one wire alternator. GREAT MOVE!! I
converted to - ground
at the same time. Again :-)! Only problem was the alternator puts out more
voltage than the
old Lucas dynamo so I needed a voltage regulator in the feed line to the tach.
I blew out two
doides before the instrument repair guy told me what was up. (He didn't want to
fix it every
two hours for free so he told me what was up.) I got an LM-something or other
(look in the data
book for linear voltage regulators. Use a 12 volt model in a TO-3 package.
Shazam you're on the
road again!!

It required a minimum of bracketry design and fabrication. (I'm a mech engineer
doing design
as my job so my viewpoint is slightly skewed.) ;-)

Cheers,

Ken Boetzer