Timing chain slipped?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Timing chain slipped?
From: Richard Hauser <dchauser@ecuvm.cis.ecu.edu>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 1996 09:57:38 -0400
I have a 68 B that I am experiencing some problems with.  The car ran
perfect for the past two years and all of the sudden it started to not
respond when I hit the gas and begin backfiring.  I went through all the
usual tuneup stuff.  Set the valves, 2 new sets of points and condenser,
timing, carb setup all done two or three times.  Even put a distributor
off another car on it.  No effect.  Got spark, got air, got gas, no
vacumn leaks.  When I advance the timing way up (1/4 revolution) it runs
better but still not right.  Has my timing chain slipped (it doesn't
make noise)?  TIA

Richard Hauser
79B, 68B, 73 Midget