RE: Valve Lifter noise

To: "'Tom Wagner - Program Manager'" <tom.wagner@Central.Sun.COM>
Subject: RE: Valve Lifter noise
From: "Jason F. Dutt" <simjason@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 18:09:31 -0400
1)  Every B I've ever seen, including mine, has had pretty noisy =
lifters.  The bad ones sound like a sewing machine.  I generally tighten =
them down to .13 or .14 instead of .15 (the clearance recommended by the =
manual).  This little bit can't hurt on a car with such a huge =
tolerance, and cuts back on the rattle significantly.

2)  When you open in up, it doesn't really make a mess at all, =
especially if it's cold.

Regards,