Re: UUDECODE

To: mgs@autox.team.net, TheSkinny@aol.com
Subject: Re: UUDECODE
From: jurrasm@genesis.torrco.com (Mark Jurras)
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 08:20:19 -0400

> Every once in a while I get the following message when reading the
list, and > I have no idea what UUDECODE is.:  > > Can someone fill me
in?

e-Mail can only handle 7-bit ASCII. Non-ASCII files are 8-bits. To
e-Mail non-ASCII files, uuencode is uesd to break up the 8-bit data
into 7-bit ASCII so it can be transmitted properly. Upon reception
UUDECODE will make it right again.

That uuencoded stuff that comes with cc:Mail et al is formatting codes
that just burn bandwidth.

Mark "What does ASCII(77 79 87 79 71) stand for?" Jurras