Re: Midget values

To: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Re: Midget values
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 08:25:48 +0000
Ulix Goettsch wrote:

> Robert,
> go drive a 1275 model in the best shape you can find.  It is something
> completely different than a B.  An MGB is great for the Interstate, but
> for anything else...
>
> Ulix
> 67 Sprite

You're preaching to the choir, Ulix (Ulix?) I owned a 1974 Midget for 5 years.
The 1275 motor is a wonderful, strong, resilient, and high-reving little
beast. This little 'A' motor makes the 'B' motors seem agrarian.

I actually drive my cars and the little Midget explored all of the curvy roads
in Missouri I could find and I found a lot. I would have events with the car
club and *nobody* ever passed my Midget and most 'B' owners drove like they
were in their Buick.

Having said that, the 1275 Midget transmission is crap. Non-synchro 1st is a
pain but the other gears aren't too strong either. I wore out three of them.
Plus, without overdrive, you have to rev the beegees out of the little motor
to maintain 75 on the freeway and 90 is about tops. I know, it's a lot like a
'B' without overdrive but, in the Midget, overdrive isn't an option.

I've got a local aquaintance that bought "the kit" and a Datsun B200 5-speed
and put it in his Midget. That makes it wonderful -- for awhile. But he keeps
chewing the clutch splines off the front transmission shaft. Plus he has an
eccentric mix of Brit-SAE and Japan-Metric components -- including hydraulic
bits to keep the car on the road.

As for the rest of the car, it handles very well just because there isn't much
there and most of what there is is close to the ground. A great driving car on
country roads.

My Midget got to the point of needing body and interior work. It was just
getting tattered. Investing another $3,000+ in a car that is worth, on the
high end, $4,500 didn't make much sense. I sold it for $1,800. Okay, okay, do
the math and it looks close. But for a $4,500 Midget to maintain it's value,
it must be trailered to shows and pampered on city streets.

So the spot in the garage has been replaced with the C/GT. If I had more
garage space I doubt if I'd have sold the Midget. Oh well.

MY NEXT CAR: I think the ones that will really hold their value is the metal
dash, roll-up window cars. A pre-68 'B' with overdrive or a Midget could
probably get my wallet open. Very few nice ones anymore and the $5,000 barrier
seems much more common.

I like all these cars...

Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69MGC/GT