Re: Sealant for gasoline

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sealant for gasoline
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 10 Oct 1996 08:37:47 -0500
In <199610100136.SAA22626@unix.infoserve.net>, Ross MacPherson wrote:
>We could not find a suitable
>replacement material and were about to make a run into town when another
>member of our group showed up and recommended Loctite gasket eliminator
>(RED). He said he always carries some with him. The package claimed it was
>impervious to gasoline so we tried it.  We scraped off all traces of gasket
>from all four mating surfaces and applied this goo as instructed.  Much to
>almost everyone's surprise it worked like a charm.  To the best of my
>knowledge it's still there.

That is interesting.  I'd still try some on a test surface (exposed to
gasoline) for a few weeks before believing it.  Hylomax sez that it's
gasoline proof.  It's not, turns into a runny mess.  Tried some
Permatex RTV Blue Elephant Snot.  After about a month it changed
color, swelled up and erupted out of the joint.  Stuck to nothing.
This may be a problem with gasoline additives, which are regional, so
sealants may work in some parts of the country and not in others.

                                A. B. Bonds