TECHNICAL RESPONSES #3

To: MGS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: TECHNICAL RESPONSES #3
From: VRHS43A@prodigy.com (MR JOHN H TWIST)
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996 22:28:38, -0500
        MGB CYLINDER HEAD CRACKS:  Our machine shop often welds the tiny
cracks that travel outward from those seats.  I do have TWO factory NEW
cylinder heads at the shop, sans valves.

        MGA SHOCKS:  There are about four shock rebuilders.  We offer
shocks from a wholesale rebuilder in California at $75 each.  Shocks that
do not have loose axles or leaking seals can simply be refilled with stiff
fluid to return them to stiff condition.

        BRAKE LIGHTS INOP:  Textbook case, faulty earth.  When the parking
lights are off, the brake lights find their earth through the front parking
lights.  When the lights are on, the brake lights cannot find earth.
Unless, of course, the car has just been in a body shop.

        MGA VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION NUMBER:  Post the engine number and body
number (found on the vertical portion of the bulkhead/firewall, right next
to the control box, passenger, RH side -- 1500s have five digits; 1600s are
prefixed with "B", along with the VIN the title says and I'll chase through
our files and see what I can find.  Once you've drawn the number into a
small range, you can contact Anders Clausager, Archivist, at BMHIT, in
Gaydon for the "official information."

        MGB MANUAL CHOKE CONVERSION:  Too long for posting, I have a nice
article "Those Damned Zenith Strombergs" that helps in diagnosis of faults.
 In the end, of course, this autochoke can be renewed for flawless
operation.  Consider originality.  Send me your Email address and I can
send the information.

        MG ACRONYMS:  Mostly Geezers

        John Twist VRHS43A@Prodigy.com