Re: MGA vehicle I.D. number

To: MG NEWSGROUP <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGA vehicle I.D. number
From: Gregg Baker <gbaker@anc.ak.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 1996 21:24:37 -0800
At 11:30 AM 10/11/96 -0700, you wrote:
>I looked at an MGA that was missing the factory I.D. plate under the
>hood in front of the heater unit.  There is no plate on the dashboard
>like an MGB.  The title does have a serial number on it, but I couldn't
>verify it and the owner doesn't know or admit knowing much about the
>car.  Does anyone know if the serial number is reproduced anywhere else
>on the car?  I found the chassis number but that doesn't get me anywhere
>legally...
>Thanks for all advice!
>                                       Steve Roseboom
>                                       Boulder, Colorado

Steve,
   I had the exact same problem with my 57A only the number on the title didn't
have the right amount of numbers.  With much patience I managed thru the help
of some etching acid to bring up the number on the passenger side floor
crossmember.
The number was sent to British Heritage and confirmed (as much as possible)
as to
date of manufacture, color and where it was originaly sold (all seem
correct).  Now
the question is do I attempt to get the number changed on the title or let
it stay
the way it's been for who knows how long.
   Hopefully your crossmember isn't too corroded to bring up the number.
Mine was
almost so.  Good Luck
                                                              Gregg Baker
biff  anc19672@anc.ak.net
"If you take it serious.....You'll go crazy"