Land speed record - (non-MG topic)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Land speed record - (non-MG topic)
From: Bill Harkins <bharkins@tfb.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 23:18:32 -0700 (PDT)
There is no MG content to this message.

The Craig Breedlove web site may be of interest
<www.shellus.com.SpiritofAmerica/> (the caps S & A are required). According
to the last info shown, the run was to have been made for the 700+ mph
record in the past week or so, but I haven't heard about it. There have been
a lot of delays apparently, mainly due to funding.

Web site has interesting history of land speed record breaking with a lists
of the records back to 1898. Interesting how the ebb and flo of this
activity goes back and forth between US and UK. Current record is 633.47 mph
held by Richard Noble of UK in 1983. Breedlove will attempt to better 700
mph for the land speed record and then try for 765 to break the sound
barrier on land, ie without actually taking off. All the recent records have
been in jet powered cars, which IMHO is unfortunate since it doesn't do much
for current automotive ICE technolgy. The last ICE record was in 1965 by
Summers at 409.277.

There is some interesting technical detail on the new SoA as to materials as
well as video/audio clips of previous Breedlove record runs. If anyone has
an update on the actual run, I'd be interested in the details.

Bill Harkins
Fallbrook, CA