Another question on Negative Grounds

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Another question on Negative Grounds
From: MarKap2032@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 19:43:16 -0400
I've been lurking on a variety of British Car lists for over a year.  I'm an
active member of the MGCC-Western NY centre and I have a  variety of British
cars which keep me occupied in the garage during the long western NY winters
(which have now started).
In the past I have converted MGAs and a TR3 to negative ground during a
rebuild.  I know you need to switch coil wires, repolarize the generator etc.
 Now I am working on a '67 MGBGT and I want to switch to negative ground so
that my wife can enjoy  "period" sounds on a modern  CD while she uses this
sportscar hatchback for her travels to every garden shop in upstate NY.
I know that the electric tach on the MGB needs to be rewired and I have John
Twist's instructions for that.  NOW , finally I get to my question for this
esteemed group......The car seems to have an SU fuel pump (altho I doubt if
it is the original one).  I know that many ,if not all, replacement SU pumps
contain diodes which make them blow out if you switch polarity.  How can I
tell if this fuel pump will work when I switch battery polarity (without
blowing it out and saying,   "guess not").
I don't want to remove the pump unless I absolutely have to and I'm not sure
I'd be able to tell anything by looking.  Soooo, please accept my apology if
this question has come up before but anyone out there have any advice?  The
present pump works well so I'd rather not replace it unless it "must be
done"....
Thanks.    Mark in Webster--currently with a floorless, sill less, 1/2
crossmemberless 67MGBGT.