Re: MG Land Speed Records (LONG)

To: <mgs%autox.team.net@MV.Unisys.COM>
Subject: Re: MG Land Speed Records (LONG)
From: Owen Michaels-Hardy <omhardy@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 16:46:38 +1000 (EST)
Philippe Tusler wrote:
re: land speed records:  MG has captured a few of them in the past.
Wasn't the 'Bluebird' an MG-powered land speed record holder?

Pre WWII, MG developed three record cars. First, the EX120 'Magic Midget',
driven at over 100 mph by George Eyston at Montlhery (France) in February
1931. Second, the EX127 driven at 110.28 mph by E.A.D. Eldridge at
Montlhery. Eyston was meant to drive this but ended up in hospital through a
fire in EX120 after a successful attempt on the one hour 100 mile record
(EX120 was effectively ruined when it burnt out). Eyston, in December 1931,
drove EX127 at over 127 mph. In 1934/5, Bobby Kohlrausch, a German racing
driver, took over ownership of EX127. After further Abingdon modifications
its 750cc supercharged motor achieved 146 bhp, and with Kohlrausch at the
wheel covered the flying mile at 140.6 mph. Kohlrausch eventually parted
with EX127 to Mercedes-Benz. The third record car was the EX135 'Magic
Magnette'. Eyston ordered the car from Kimber late in 1933. The brief was a
special car to be based on the K3 and be suitable for both record breaking
and road-racing (using a different body). After some inital success in the
Class G (under 1100cc) records the EX135's body was restyled for Major
Goldie Gardner who broke numerous class records with this car over a 15 year
period. At a first record attempt Gardner managed an average speed of 187.61
mph! In subsequent attempts, having overbored .020" to 1106cc for the class
F record, the car achieved a fastest one way speed of 207.4 mph. By
September 1949 having had various engines fitted at different times (all
supercharged), EX135 held the world speed records in five out of ten
recognised classes --E, F, G, H and I.

Two more record cars were developed in the 50's. The EX179 was built on the
prototype MGA chassis. It was used for record attempts on the Bonneville
salt flats in Utah and later rebuilt and designated the EX219. The last and
fastest MG record breaker was the mid-engined EX181. Driven by Stirling
Moss, and later Phil Hill, it set the 1500cc class record at 245mph. To my
mind this was the prettiest, with a tear-drop shape and small drivers bubble
- such a shame that MG didn't pursue the mid engine into a production car -
but still it shows that in the 50's MG was at the cutting edge of development.

If anyone is interested in learning more about these cars please mail me and
I will post more in due course (no more time today), or better still, I'd
refer you to the reference book I have used here: Maintaining the Breed -
The saga of MG racing cars (second edition), by John W Thornley, Motor
Racing Publications, London, 1956.

BTW, if anyone is after MGB bits and pieces, I have various items I could be
encouraged to sell.

Owen Michaels-Hardy, Sydney Australia
1980 TR7 FHC Sprint