Re: MG TF Tragedy!

To: John Wells <john.wells@mnplan.state.mn.us>
Subject: Re: MG TF Tragedy!
From: Robert J Donahue/DELCO <RJDONAHU@mail.delcoelect.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 10:10:22 +0000
<From: john.wells @ mnplan.state.mn.us (John Wells) @ USDESMTP
<Date: 10/23/96 09:01:29 AM
<Subject: MG TF Tragedy!
<
<Hello All,
<
<Our tragedy is that our family heirloom MG TF was the subject of an
<assault by Hurricane Fran on September 5th along the coast of North
<Carolina.  Specifically, the car was submerged for  several hours in 30
<inches of salt water that invaded my mother's garage.  She was away
<visiting her kids across the country, myself included, and no one was
<able to take care of the car immediately afterward.  In fact, it still sits
<moistly, I suspect, in that garage although family is now there at least
<visiting.
<
<The engine and body were in good condition, although it had not been
<run routinely for years, being relagated to a "project" by my dad until his
<death last Spring.  We are the second owners, having bought the car in
<1961.
<
<Is there anything that could be done to rescue or revive or renovate the
<car, or its parts,  at this point?  Does it have any value whatsoever, or
<should it just be forgotten as scrap?
<
<Any suggestions??    Advice would be much appreciated!!!
<
<Thanks in advance!
<
<John Wells

John, I don't think one of the T series should ever be considered
scrap regardless of the condition. If you don't feel up to the
task of reviving it, I'm sure someone else would. Now I'm not an
expert on cars, but when a piece of electrical/electronic gear gets
submerged in salt water, the first thing you do is flush it
thoroughly with fresh water!!! Get all the salt out of it then dry
it with a fan. I've used a hair drier on radios. I'm sure you'll
get more specific advice on the brake system, motor, tranny,
rear end, etc from others on the list. But as for the electrical
components flush with fresh water then dry with a hair drier.

Bob Donahue, Still stuck in the '50s
53 MG-TD, under DIY restoration
71 MGB, still in the shop, 12 months and counting (the TD is winning)