Re: SAFETY ALERT! Holding Plug leads

To: <simon.MATTHEWS@st.com>
Subject: Re: SAFETY ALERT! Holding Plug leads
From: "David Littlefield" <dmeadow@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 12:47:07 -0600
You wrote:
snip>
>Incidentally, this has reminded me of more Brit/American terms:
>
>Brit   /      'mericun
>King Lead  /   Coil Wire ??
>Mole Grips /   Vice grips ??
>Indicator  /   <I never did learn the American for this>
<snip

I believe you mean Vi(s)e Grips, which is actually a brand name, although
used generically by Americans to mean locking pliers (the adjustable kind),
much as the term Crescent Wrench (again a brand name) which is used
generically to refer to a wrench with adjustable jaws (what's the Brit for
that?).  "Vice" grips are specific techniques used in houses of ill-repute
;-)

Indicators are known as turn signals, but are rarely used by Americans,
almost never by Texans }:(

BTW, I have been hit by a bolt from spark plug leads on a couple of
occasions.  In one instance, a buddy watching me said he saw my head jerk
up and smash, with great force, into the underside of the hood (bonnet) on
a 1953 Buick (meaning a very solid bonnet).  I never felt a thing.  Maybe
that's why I bought the MGA.  Either because I thought a lightweight
aluminum (aluminium) bonnet would be safer, or I had brain damage.

David Littlefield
Houston, TX