MGA - Close Ratio Gearbox

To: <BarneyMG@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MGA - Close Ratio Gearbox
From: <larry.g.unger@lmco.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 19:34:51 -0500
Barney,

Found the following in the "Options, Extras & Accessories"
section, as opposed to the "Racing & Competition Equipment"
section,  of  Anders Clausager's "Orginial MGA" ...

"Close-ratio gearbox  Available on Twin Cam from April 1959
 and also on pushrod-engined cars thereafter, but always most
 common on Twin Cam and De Luxe models.  See Section on
 gearbox.  Gear cluster for conversion listed as competion
 equipment."

Anders also states in the "Gearbox" Section ...

     "A close-ratio gearbox becam available as an option at least
 from April 1959 onwards on the Twin Cam model, and also on
 pushrod-engined cars from then on.  The ratios for this gearbox
 are shown in the second panel.
      On cars which were originally fitted with the close-ratio
grearbox,
 the code letter 'U' (for centre-change gearbox) in the in engine
 number prefix was replaced by the code letters 'Da' (for close-ratio,
 centre-change gearbox)."

While I would have to agree that the 'close-ratio' gearbox was
typically fitted to Twin Cams and Deluxes, I would have to argue
that it was available as a production option all models after April
1959.  One could also argue that, since the first 1600 was
produced in May of 1959, the 'close-ratio' gearbox was a
production option on the 1500  ... this might be considered a bit
of 'stretch' by some ... but not me ;-).

The 'close-ratio converson kit' consists of the first motion shaft,
laygear, second speed mainshaft gear and third speed mainshaft
gear, and a second speed baulk ring.

Safety Fast ... larry.g.unger@lmco.com
                      '62 MGA 1600 MkII