Re: Rear axle leak

To: engel@metro.net
Subject: Re: Rear axle leak
From: BarneyMG@aol.com
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 06:09:04 -0500
In a message dated 96-10-30 01:57:17 EST, engel@metro.net (Engelhardt)
writes:

<< I'm having an ongoing problem with my disk wheeled 58 MGA right rear axle
leaking gear oil. I've replaced O-ring, seal, and gasket (twice) to no avail.
..... >>

Ron,

I can't answer your question yet, but gawd I hope we find the answer soon.
 I've replaced both the rear hub seals on my 58 MGA three times now and they
still leak.  My best bet is a somewhat worn or otherwise damaged mating seal
surface on the axel housing.  I shall shortly pull one of the rear hubs again
to measure the hard surface, and I will be checking with my local bearing
shop to see if there's a Jiffy Sleeve available in the right size for this
application.

Barney Gaylord -- 1958 MGA