MGB Engine Flutter at 3200 RPM

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB Engine Flutter at 3200 RPM
From: JKearman@aol.com
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 13:56:08 -0500
While taking my standard lunch-hour country drive, I was reminded again of
the one operational glitch in my 72 MGB engine. Hard to describe this
problem, which the car's had since I got it. At about 3200 RPM, or 60 mph in
4th, the engine misses/flutters/stumbles a little. The kicker is, the car has
a '67 manifold with '72 carbs. You can guess what that's all about.

My mechanic, who fixes only British cars (pip-pip!), thinks it could be the
carbs (he says the later SUs were trouble) or maybe the distributor.
Otherwise, the engine is pretty smooth once it warms up. It has a 160-deg
thermostat.

I trust electronic ignitions, and would probably use one eventually, so I'm
considering trying that as an attempt to fix the problem.

But first I'd appreciate some discussion. Thanks, and thanks to all who
commented on the fuel tank R&R, scheduled for this weekend.

Cheers,

Jim Kearman