Re: Need help with MGB leaks

To: BOB NOGUEIRA <NKED65A@prodigy.com>
Subject: Re: Need help with MGB leaks
From: Jim Boyd <gumby@joshuanet.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 1996 20:12:23 -0800
BOB NOGUEIRA wrote:

> -- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #2.5.1 ] --
>
> Daivd, A year and a half on the list and your the first person who has
> ever said,  " > windshield was pretty thrashed so I  replaced it and the
> rubber and the chrome."
> As a daily MGBGT driver with a car with three pieces of the chrome trim
> still sitting on the shelve waiting for the stars to be aligned so I can
> put the trim back on ,, HOW DID YOU DO IT ?
>
> It took me two weekends, cut fingers, butchered seal trim and lots of
> swearing to get just the one piece back on .
>
> -------- REPLY, Original message follows --------
>
> > Date: Thursday, 31-Oct-96 04:40 AM
> >
> > From: David M. Hall            \ Internet:    (dhall@vcd.hp.com)
> > To:   "'joseph_cianciotti@ns_gmosf.gmosf.com'" (Unlisted Name) \
> Internet:
>
> > Subject: RE: Need help with MGB leaks
> >
> > Joseph...
> >
> > As far as the windshield goes, My GT was leaking around the windshield
> , and the
> > windshield was pretty thrashed so I  replaced it and the rubber and
> the chrome.
> >  However, I  know the roadsters are quite different so this probably
> doesn't
> > help.
> > ................................(Lots of stuff deleted so MB won't
> have to send out the reminder to edit replys to the list ...............

Bob:

I have a '67 GT and I did a bare metal restoration.   And that, of
course, means you take out all the glass!  I never consulted the Moss
catalogue, so I just ripped out all those "cheapie" aluminum strips and
figured I'd fet new ones.

Needless to say, I just about lost it when I say the cost!  I replaced
all the front windscreen pieces and ended up getting a '66GT just for
the hatch aluminum (it was cheaper!)

I ended up using a dental probe to help get the trim in place.  It has a
pointed end, but it isn't sharp.  My wife felt sorry for me (she's very
patient) and so we spent the better part of a Saturday on just the
windscreen!

After all was said and done, I was NOT HAPPY with the finished product!
Some of the aluminum got bent and things just didn't LOOK right!
Believe it or not, the car doesn't leak from the windscreen!  In talking
with friends later, I think my first mistake (or was it the third?) was
not getting the windscreen glass positioned correctly.

About two weeks after this fiasco was completed, while cruising he
freeway, a fock hit the windscreen, causing an instant 3" long crack :>(

Like you, I have been putting this one off 'till the next millenium!

Good luck,
Jim
'66GT, '67GT, '69GT, '70GT (split bumper)  '60 Mini and others!