front wheel bearing

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: front wheel bearing
From: homestay@infolearn.com.au (Syl's Sydney Homestay)
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 01:40:43 +1100 (EST)
I had wrestled with a shaky front wheel bearing for some time
notwithstanding replacing the bearings twice. The front left more than the
front right.

The difference I had put down to the fact that as we drive on the left side
of the road maybe at some time the front left wheel had taken a knock
against the kerb/gutter which had put out the geometry.

Not so, and in the end a relatively easy fix!

The outer bearing is held in place by a castellated nut over a washer. This
washer is supposed to be concave as viewed from outside such that the nut
can be tightened up without it binding on the ball race.

My washer had been put on back to front at some time such that when
tightend it had flattened out. So on reassembly no particular attention was
paid by me with the result that I could only tighten the nut so far before
the wheel bound up. This then was the extent to which I would tighten up
before inserting the split pin through the castellation.

The solution was to turn up a new washer with a 2mm ridge which set against
the inner race leaving the outer race free and can logically only go on one
way in future.
                               llooooll   llooooll
Something like:                ------==   ==------

(hope the sketch transmits as drawn)