MGB Timing

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB Timing
From: "Thomas James Pokrefke, III" <pokrefke@ocean.st.usm.edu>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 20:20:13 -0600
My 1970 MGB has no timing marks on the flywheel.  I have tried several times
to align at the engine at TDC, but I cannot accurately line it up.  I am
therefore unable to set the timing.  Can anyone suggest a way to line
the engine up to TDC without taking the head/oilpan off?.  My current
method is to stick a straw in the sparkplug hole, rotate the crankshaft,
and wait until the piston reaches the top of its travel.  This method
does not provide enough accuracy.  Suggestions are greately appreciated.

Thomas James Pokrefke, III
pokrefke@ocean.st.usm.edu
1970 MGB