Re: Are we getting bored?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Are we getting bored?
From: Lane Rollins <laner@teleport.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 09:45:05 -0800
>In a message dated 96-11-04 12:45:35 EST, laner@teleport.com (Lane Rollins)
>writes:
>
><< One of the local clubs did there annual Guy Fawkes party that night.  Lots
>of food and beverage. Great bon fire including a couple of Guy's to burn. >>
>
>Yes?  I give up.  What's the skinny on the "Guy's"?

The following section was taken from the club newsletter... I'm sure that
some of our friends from England could give us more/better info.

Cheers, Lane

In England, for some reason, they don't celebrate Independence Day on July
4th. Instead, the big fireworks occasion is November 5th in commemmoration
of Guy Fawkes Day.

For over 350 years the name "Guy Fawkes" has signified to the British
peoples the man responsible for the devilish plot to blow up the King of
England and the House of Parliament. Guy Fawkes and his co-conspirators
rented a cellar extending under Parliament, and Fawkes planted at least 20
barrels of gunpowder there, camouflaging them with coal. But the plot was
discovered, and Fawkes was
arrested on November 4th, 1605.

Only after being tortured on the rack did he reveal the names of his
accomplices. Tried and found guilty before a special comniission, he was
executed opposite the Parliament building. England's celebration of Guy
Fawkes
Day includes fireworks, masked children begging "a penny for the guy," and
the burning of "guys," little effigies of the conspirator.