Re: Primers.....

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Primers.....
From: ken.roach@sk.sympatico.ca (Ken Roach)
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 1996 17:50:30 GMT
On Thu, 7 Nov 1996 12:11:13 -0800, you wrote:

>As work progresses, albeit slowly, on my GT I've reached the stage were =
>need a good primer with excellent filling properties.  For instance the =
rust
>has been repaired in the boot floor but some areas with surface rust =
pitting
>need filling.  These pits aren't a perforation risk but will spoil a
>respray.  Anyone got any recommendations?  I need something with =
exceptional
>filling capabilities and relatively simple application.=20

There are a few different ways you can tackle this:

1. Use a spray putty such as "Covol" .  This is essentially polyesters
spot putty that is thin enough to spray.  It fills very well but is
difficult to sand smooth and especially so in tight areas (it goes on
kind of gloppy).  Because it is so thick, you may need a different
spray tip with your gun.  I use a cheap Sears gun that is convertible
to pressure feed.

2. Fill the pits with spot putty. Depending how big of an area you
have to cover, you may want to consider filling the worst of them and
leave the other areas to be filled with primer-surfacer.

3. Multiple coats of primer-surfacer.  I haven't experimented with the
new catalyzed primers, but I hear they do fill better than the
lacquers that I am used to using. =20

On my MGB I wasn't all that concerned with the inside of the trunk and
just gave it three good coats with DuPont 131.  It did a better job
than I anticipated with only the deepest pits visible after the color
and clear were applied.

I am assuming that you have access to compressed air and some sort of
spray gun.  Unfortunately any spray can primer I have used in the past
had very little filling qualities.

Ken Roach
'74 B