74 MGB Help

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: 74 MGB Help
From: Bob Diamond <bobd@netrunner.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 01:07:48 -0500
Thanks for responding to me. SO far, Looks like only timing.

Problems started when I lost all power - loud knocking - low speed -
reasonable rpms - cold engine -

Timing is way way out. i knew ist was somewhat out of whack. anyway -

I forgot what a decent idle sounded like. The engine is a 18V672Z -I've
disconnected the vacuum emission and reset the timing. The mark is a
full 1/4 inch below where it's supposed to be up (near 14). The rpm is
steady 7-800 - according to the book that's ideal. But it sounds putty -
almost like a Harley. Should it? After 20,000 miles in 7 years - I
forgot if that's what she sounded like when tuned. Should I put the idle
up to 1000 - 1100 without the vacuum pump? Seems to run smoother - less
Harley-like. But then RPM lingers too long when shifting -  I'm going to
pull out what hair I have left.

There is a sticker on the frame divider between the radiator and the oil
cooler. 2 x 7 inch. Has California Emissions info.  The Idle RPM Speed
listing is MISSING. The corner of the label is gone. There's listings
for settings like gap and timing.   Should the engine run smooth?- I
can't believe I've forgotten. Maybe it's a mixture and idle thing now?

Any thoughts or suggestions to add for consideration.

Should I be working with the mixture and idle now?