Re: MGB Trannys

To: Randy Rees <randyr@starwave.com>
Subject: Re: MGB Trannys
From: Jim Boyd <gumby@joshuanet.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996 22:58:59 -0800
Randy Rees wrote:

> Called a company in Ca. called Novus who makes a kit for replacing the
> MGB tranny with a Datsun 5 Speed. Anybody have any experience with this?
> Here is what I was told.
>
> They manufacture a bellhousing adapter, rear crosmember, and supply and
> modify the Datsun flywheel.
>
> You supply the clutch, pressure plate throwout bearing, starter, and a
> transmission from a 280Z.
> you can use the Datsun clutch cylinder or the MGB's.
>
> They claim everything just bolts up with no machining or metal work
> whatsoever. The Datsun shift tower is even in the same place.
>
> Cost is $650 for their kit. + your tranny ect.
>
> I have a few friends who have 240 and 280Z's and swear the tranny is
> bulletproof.  Anybody have first hand info on this kit?

Randy:

I ordered Novus' kit for rear gas struts for the GT hatch and was not
satisfied with the quality and returned them...  Why not just slap in
the real thing, a MG LH overdrive and have the best of all!

My o/d has given me minimal hassle and the pleasure of knowing I have
SIX forward speeds give me a smile that never wears off!

Think about it!

Cheers!
Jim