Re: TD brake lights

To: Steve Tritle <stevet@hbp.com>
Subject: Re: TD brake lights
From: edward <engconn@pottsville.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 17:03:05 -0500
Steve Tritle wrote:

> My restored TD is not wired for brake lights. How do I go about doing
> this project? The lighting is fine otherwise but I need brake or stop
> lights on this car. Help!!!!!
> Steve Tritle
> stevet@hbp.com

This is most strange.  As far as I know, all TDs were made with stop and
flashing indicator lights.  Even TCs were fitted similarly when made for
export,(although some TCs have the quaint wiring eccentricity that when
the stop lights at the rear are activated, the front side lights also
are illuminated!). I have never seen a TD which didn't have stop lights,
let alone a replacement harness which did not incorporate provission for
the aforesaid.  The TD stop light system is wired through a pressure
activated switch adjacent to the master brake cylinder and which is
attached to the chassis side member.  The wiring is so arranged that
when the foot brake is applied, and the stop lights are activated, the
turn signals can still make the appropriate indications.  The relay unit
for this is situated under the scuttle, and had it's own seperate wiring
extension from the main harness, and carries 8 wire terminals.  It is
most strange that none of the above is present when the car is
purportedly restored. See the owner's manuals for details re wiring
etc..

Geoff Love, The English Connection.