Re: End of The MGB

To: steuny@nornet.on.ca, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: End of The MGB
From: OSCALETA99@aol.com
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 01:11:35 -0500
In a nutshell, I paraphrase Lindsay Porter - guru to many of us and the
person most responsible for my cars not being heaps of primed or oily
parts!!!!

After "ruining" the engine and performance with ever more stringent emission
controls for the U.S. market and turning the interior into a "beach buggy"
with striped fabric and lots of plastic knobs, sales of the B dropped
dramatically in its last two years.- it just wasn't the car it had been....
BL was committed to production of the TR7 and the Metro so had no interest in
revitalising the "aged" B..
At the time Roy Brocklehurst, a BL exec said "We are not in business to make
cars but to make money" (at that time BL made neither! - m.r.)
A nasty irony reported by Porter is tha the whole Abingdon site was sold to
an insurance co. for five million sterling which the MGOC could doubtess have
raised in public offering.

At the time I was 27, driving a 74BGT(damask red) - it was my third GT - and
I never gave MGs demise a single thought..............how life changes!!

mike robson
69 roadster
72 roadster
73 BGT