Oils, changes, fanatics

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Oils, changes, fanatics
From: William Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 12:15:51 -0600
A couple people asked about blended oils.  I did use blends in one of my
cars although I don't remember which one.  I never increased the change
intervals because it still contained at least some of the additive package
and oil molecules of standard oil so I did not feel that it would last
longer.  you are not getting rid of the stuff that synthetics get rid of.
No science, just a gut feel.

In the past, most people I respect have recommended against using 10 W 40
oil.  This is because this oil contains a lot of viscosity index improvers
to get the wide rating spread.  VI improvers are not very stable over time
and are not good lubricants so, in their opinion, it is a poorer oil.
Maybe the natural / synthetic blend would take care of that.

Why do I change every 5k miles?  Two reasons.  Living in Minnesota
automatically qualifies as severe duty for which most manufacturers
recomend 3k intervals instead of the 7.5k intervals for "normal" driving.
Secondly, it makes it easier for me to keep track of change intervals.  I
change the oil and rotate the tires whenever the odometer shows 5k or 0k.

David could be considered a fanatic but let's remember that it is the
fanatics that keep movements alive.  I enjoy reading David's posts and,
although I fit into the group that he is lambasting, I still am glad that
he said what he said.  It may give me a little more motivation to take an
overnight in the A next year or go trolling for Geo Metros on the autocross
track.

David and Barney and others,  you guys are my LBC idols so give em hell!

Regards
Bill Eastman