Re: Brake caliper help needed

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, MGs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brake caliper help needed
From: jdean@cstone.net (John W. Dean)
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 15:02:05 GMT
On Wed, 20 Nov 1996 21:06:58 -0500 (EST), you wrote:

>                  Disc
>                 /
>                "
>           /|   " |\-Caliper
>           ||   " ||
>           \|   " |/
>                "
>                "
>                "

Here are some things to consider.

1. Check that the calipers are the correct ones for the car.  A visual
comparison between the new ones and the old ones should be easy to do.
If you have already sent the old ones back to the supplier as cores,
have them double-check the part number.  It's usually best not to send
the old ones back until after you have verified that the new ones are
right.  I've recently had some problems with Moss sending incorrect
parts under correct part numbers, so maybe you should try to verify
whether this may have happened to you.  They do a great job, in general,
but everyone can make mistakes.=20

2. Most British cars from the sixties and seventies came from the
factory with shims installed between the caliper and its mounting, for
the express purpose of centering the caliper on the disc.  These have
often been lost over the years.  I don't think this is your problem,
though, because adding shims can only increase the space on the inner
side.  My understanding of your message is that the extra space is on
that side, and the shims were meant only to make small adjustments.
Yours sounds like it's way off. =20

If the disc is as far off as you say, then I'm almost sure that you have
the wrong calipers.  I would verify this before filling them with fluid.
And good luck with the silicone.  I've never had anything but bad
experiences with it.

John Dean
Charlottesville, VA USA