mgb rpms

To: MGS@autox.team.net
Subject: mgb rpms
From: NKED65A@prodigy.com ( BOB NOGUEIRA)
Date: 23 Nov 96
-- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #2.5.1 ] --

I've seen several comments on the list  about the performance difference
between the 5 main bearing engine and the three.  Since the only MGB I
have ever driven is mine I have nothing to  compare it to except my
Morgan.

My BGT has a 69 engine ( 5 main) which is stock, while the Morgan has
the 64 TR  engine.
When accelerating from a stop,  I find in the Morgan I have to watch the
Tach or I'll be well over the redline When at the redline the engine
seems to want to just keep going to the peg. Meanwhile the MG almost
never see the  redline and getting to within 500 RPMS of it is painful.
Both cars perform well.
QUESTION: 1) Is the BGTs reluctance to get close to the redline normal ?
Is it due to the 5 main bearings?
                  2) Years ago I read some thing about the best RPM to
shift at was determined by the RPM  the engine would be at  after the
shift.  It was something like  ' shift from 1st to second so that you
are at the top of your engines torque curve when second is engaged' , or
it may have been " shift out of first at the of the horsepower curve and
entering second at the  top of the tuque curve.
                 3) At what RPM does a MGB develop max torque and HP?l
Can anyone clarify these points for me?

Thanks
Bob Nogueira