Re: Fly-off Emergency Brake

To: cdelling@ic.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fly-off Emergency Brake
From: Paul Hunt <on76@dial.pipex.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 96 19:38:02 GMT
>Stupid question time folks!  I have owned two LBC's in my lifetime,
>first a '72 Triumph Spitfire Mk IV, and currently a '77 MGB (Yes, I
>came to my senses and bought an MG).  I was reading a history of MGA
>last night, and reference was made to a Fly-Off brake handle.  O.K.,
>here is the stupid question - what is a fly-0ff brake handle?

Instead of pulling up the handle on the ratchet to put the brake on,
then lifting the handle a bit so you can push the button in to let
the brake off holding the button all the way down, with a fly-off you
have to push the button in to make the handle stay up.  Then when you
lift the handle the button flies out and the ratchet disengages and
you can just drop the handle to release the brake.  Means you can
yank (no pun intended) the back brakes on and off in rallying without
having to hold the button in while you lower the handle.