Re: !RUST! No LBC Content But Please Help Me!

To: Jay Quinn <jpquinn@cyberramp.net>, mgs@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: !RUST! No LBC Content But Please Help Me!
From: jblair@exis.net (John T. Blair)
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 23:49:41 -0500
At 09:53 PM 11/27/96 -0600, Jay Quinn wrote:

> Well, my wife just bought a used  '94 Honda Accord EX model with
> 21K miles. I just drove it around and really like it.....

> After I drove it and parked in the garage, I took a trouble light
> and crawled under the car and.......Guess what I discovered?
>
>RUST!

> The majority of the rust is around the backs of the
> wheels/suspension areas as well as the exhaust system.
> How in the hell do I get rid of the stuff?
>
> What Can I possible do to stop the rust problem?
>
> Can I squirt something on it, scrub and blast it off with?
>
> I ask here because I know guys and gals out here restore old cars
> that have rust in various stages and have combated this problem.
>
>Please help me!

Jay,

  I guess the 1st question to you is, how much work do you want to
do to stop the rust?  This will determine the best way to solve the
problem.  But let me give you several options.

1.  The best would be to disassembly the rear suspension.  Get a
    4" grinder and put a course knotted wire wheel on it and grind
    out the rust on the body panels.

    Likewise grind all the pieces of the suspension to remove the
    rust.

    Then treat the parts (more later).

2.  Again disassembly the rear suspension.  Then you could purchase
    or rent a pressure (sand) blaster, assuming that you have at
    least a 5hp 20gal air compressor.  This will make a mell of a
    hess.  But it will cut into the rust and really clean it up.

    Small suspension parts can also be blasted.  (Don't try to
    blast any parts with bearings, ie. the rear axle trunion.

    Then treat the parts.

3.  If you aren't into that much work simply spray everything
    with rustoleium.  This isn't as good and it won't really stop
    the rust.

4.  For really bad areas on the body, you will have to cut the
    affected area out and weld in a new one.  For suspension parts,
    if you think they have been weakend then replace them.

Treating the metal parts.

1.  After a part or body area has been degreased, blasted or ground
    with a wire wheel, you can etch the metal with a metal
    conditioner.  Ospho is one brand name.  Basically, all it is, is
    fosphoric acid.  This will kill any remaining rust.

2.  Next paint the part/area.  If you really want to do the job
    right, I'd use POR-15 or Corrlas (sp).  These are polyeurathane
    paints with rust inhibitors in them.  They can be put over rust.
    However, the less rust the better.  These paints are expensive,
    about $30 / qt.

    You could use RustOleium or DeRusto.  These are a lot cheaper
    but they don't give as much protection.

You might also want to check out the Morgan Web page at:

http://www.team.net/www/morgan

There is an article on Rust and another one on painting and body
work under the restoration section.

Hope this helps.

John

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire