BvsGT/Split Bumpers/Plz. Edit

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: BvsGT/Split Bumpers/Plz. Edit
From: mgguyc100@ra.isisnet.com (Williams/MG Guy)
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 1996 17:36:30 -0400 (AST)
Can't resist. Happy Thanksgiving to all our American listers. (In Canada,
our Thanksgiving is about 6 weeks earlier - October 14 this year - the US
Columbus Day....)

Re: B vs GT. My first MG was a '71 roadster in 1972. Loved it. Later came
the GT, a '70 I bought in '73 - and still have. Later again, came another
roadster, my '68 - in '84, restored '87 to '90 - and still have. I find each
car has it's own character. Actually, the roadster has two (top up, top
down), three with the hardtop - which kinda makes it feel GT-like. I
remember reading that the GT was once described as a 'poor man's Aston
Martin'. I like the roadster for ripping along the coast on sunny
afternoons, then coming home in the evening...changing to elegant casual for
dinner, and taking the GT.

BTW, roadsters and GTs - the cars are identical, save for the front fenders,
glass and obvious trim above the waist line. Doors are identical, just that
GT doors have a completely different vent window and associated stuff with
the taller window glass. I'm reading people talking about other differences,
and it just ain't so.

Interesting to note the varied responses to SO's and the cars. When
Christine and I were married in '76, it was a package deal...me, the GT and
the cat (oh NO!!). To this day, the whole MG thing is my thing, but just
like the package deal - Christine knew it going in, and all through the
years, we've enjoyed the hobby for what it is. One of the best was in '93
when we took both cars, both boys and set off to the NAMGBR gathering in
Peterborough, Ontario. Even came home with a few acknowledgements, which was
nice, but the sharing of the whole event is still a high point in our
family. (BTW, no cats anymore. English Springer Spaniel - Pepper)

Re: '70 B & BGT split rear bumpers - save 'em all! Chicken lips are more
plentiful. Also difficult to find - the ORIGINAL licence plate lamp
assemblies that tuck in under the bumpers. Have found one NOS left bumper -
have three or four rights, including the one on the car, but would love to
find a nice match for the left. Re-chroming of the best of the lot I have is
an alternative....

Re: Edit...when messages get rambling (like this!), and lengthy, and replies
forward the entire message PLUS response, it's a lotta space. Let's *snip*
folks!

Thanks from the Canadian turkey,

eh?

Terry