Re: !RUST! No LBC Content But Please Help Me!

To: Jay Quinn <jpquinn@cyberramp.net>
Subject: Re: !RUST! No LBC Content But Please Help Me!
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 15:06:33 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 27 Nov 1996, Jay Quinn wrote:

> Well, my wife just bought a used  '94 Honda Accord EX model with 21K miles.

> crawled under the car and.......Guess what I discovered?
>
> RUST!

> The majority of the rust is around the backs of the wheels/suspension areas
> as well as the exhaust system.

Get a grip.  The car is 3 years old, and the rust is surface rust on
heavy duty structural components.  It should last another 10 years if you
do nothing at all.  I have a 94 Accord, and I am certain it is just like
yours.  I wager if you read the handbook, it will tell you not to worry
about such rust.

Seriously, it would be more work than it is worth to try to refinish
everything.  If it really, really bothers you, take it somewhere and have
a commercial rustproofing sprayed on.  Every now and then, especially in
the spring, hose off the undercarriage with fresh water, and make sure
there are no pockets of mud.  Quit worrying, it is bad for your heart.
This is just a car, a transportation appliance.  It won't last forever,
and if you tried to make it last forever you'd find that the hoses would
all rot off the engine and nobody would be able to figure out how to
replace them.

You don't dismantle your refrigerator and wax the pieces, do you?

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910