Re: Rotor pos. on an MGB

To: "Brinkmann, Gerry" <brinkg@uf4124p01.BHeightsNJ.ncr.com>
Subject: Re: Rotor pos. on an MGB
From: "REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER" <CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 1996 18:09:00 -0800 (PST)
The keys are not different sizes, they are the same and make a straight line
across the diameter of the drive dog off center so it can only be inserted
in to the cam gear drive piece one way. The cam gear piece however, can be
pulled out by screwing a long bolt into the center and pulling. It can then
be rotated to any position that the cam gears will still mesh with it. My
point is that you CAN change the rotor position not by moving the drive dog
but by moving the cam gear drive piece. One of those things you realize when
you go to put your engine back together. This will allow you to rotate the
distributor's timing range to a position where the vacuum advance unit will
not interfere with other components.

Chris Reichle
****
Gerry-

I have to disagree with you - at least as a global statement.  My '77 B
has a drive dog on the distributor that prevents it from being installed
any way except for one.  It is a double keyed affair, where one key is
sized larger than the other.  This does nothing to ensure that the
stator is positioned correctly relative to the rotor, but there is only
one way to connect the rotor to the drive.  What the story is on earlier
years on MGB - that I can't address.

Regards,

Chris Delling