Re: Checking tranny oil - trapped fingers

To: mgs%autox.team.net@aphub.aerojetpd.com
Subject: Re: Checking tranny oil - trapped fingers
From: KILE_PAUL@aphub.aerojetpd.com (Paul D Kile)
Date: 02 Dec 96 15:43:36 PST
One very important point to note when checking 1963-1974 MGB trans
oil (the ones with the dipstick).  When you reach in to grab the
metal loop of the dipstick with your index finger, it is VERY EASY to
get your finger caught in the loop.  Because of the tight quarters
you are working in, the only way to get your finger free is to remove
the dipstick (which is what you are trying to do, right?).  Well, if
the O-rings on the dipstick are stuck in the tranny, you have just
become an integral part of your MGB, hanging out the door with your
finger trapped for eternity.

The solution is to reach in and grab the dipstick handle with a pair
of long nose pliers, or some sort of hooked probe, rather than your
finger.  Before you reinsert the dipstick, tie a loop of leather
bootlace to the handle.  Next time, you can reach in and pull the
lace up through the hole, and use it to pull out the dipstick.

Note to Paul H - I bet you must think that I spend all my time
getting various parts of my anatomy stuck in my LBCs, well, I told
you it was a slightly masochistic hobby!

Cheers, PK

Paul D. Kile

kile_paul@aphub.aerojetpd.com

(916) 355-5162