Engine Troubles

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Engine Troubles
From: "Thomas James Pokrefke" <pokrefke@ocean.st.usm.edu>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 1996 11:55:42 -0600 (CST)
I have been having trouble with my engine lately.  In the low to mid rpm
ranges, when I am acclerating, the engine is not 'right'.  The engine
runs rough, and then after about 3600 rpm, clears up and storms right up
to redline.  I think that the carbs are either flooding ath the low rpms,
or the timing is not right.  I checked the timing last night, and it was
dead-on.

Does anyone have an alternative method of checking the mixture settings
on the HS-4's?  My 'lift the pin a 1/16" and listen to the increase in
engine speed method" seems to have failed me.  All suggestions
appreciated, except putting on a Weber.

Thanks in advance,
Thomas James Pokrefke, III (I run fine at all rpms)
1970 MGB (runs rough in the low- and mid-ranges)
pokrefke@ocean.st.usm.edu (runs rough in the upper-range {ie-500+msg})
http://ocean.st.usm.edu/~pokrefke