Help! I broke my MG!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Help! I broke my MG!
From: Matthew D Yarnell <my23+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 23:17:37 -0500 (EST)
Hopefully, someone can give me some advice as to what happened this
afternoon.  I am a novice mechanic, and am not sure where to start.  And
until this afternoon, my 76B was a daily driver.  Here's what happened
(all possible relevent information)

I am in Pittsburgh (chilly today - 30-35 degrees).
Car was completely warmed up, and driving fine.
I saw a green light ahead that I know I needed to make if I didn't want
to wait an eternity, so I downshifted from 3rd to 2nd and started
accelerating.  RPM went up, I was accelerating, and then I was
deccelerating.  The third piston back from the front had completely
stopped firing.  I stopped the car, saw nothing immediate under the
hood, heard no mechanical bad sounds, and then limped the last mile
home.  I took out the spark plug on that piston at home, and it was
covered in black oil - enough to prevent sparking.  I cleaned off the
spark plug, the engine started (it didn't have trouble starting before),
and it seemed to have a little more power than before I cleaned the
spark plug, but it is definately not right.  I didn't see any other
obvious evidence.  It's dark and cold outside, but I will try to see if
I can find anything else.

Any immediate ideas, or anything would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt