Re: '73 B Timing

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: '73 B Timing
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 09 Dec 1996 14:42:31 -0600
>Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 11:39:53 -0500
>From: Rich Mason <rmason@ro.com>
>Subject: timing marks on '73 / static timing procedure
>
>While I search for a new manual (obligatory comment for A.B.) because the
>Haynes manual is lacking in so many ways it is becoming frustrating, I will
>again pose a question to the wealth of expertise on this list.  I guess a
>Bentley Manual is on my Christmas List now :)
>
>I'm trying to set up timing on my car, and the timing pointer does not
>resemble the one in the manual.  The Haynes manual shows a large pointer
>(TDC) and two smaller ones, each representing 5 degrees.  I see five marks,
>all the same size.  There may have been a sixth pointer (or maybe it's just
>dirt!)  It would appear that they are still 5 degree increments, but which
>one is TDC???  If nothng else - I can find TDC by pulling the valve cover
>and following the procedure from one of John Twist's tech articles.
>
>I remember reading a procedure for setting static timing - but don't recall
>where.  Is this documented somewhere online?  As I recall it involved
>setting the crankshaft to 6? degrees BTDC (with distributor pointing to #1
>plug) and rotating the distributor body until the points just open.  I think
>a test light was connected to indicate this proper position.  Any help would
>be greatly appreciated.

I appreciate your looking for a proper manual (no, I don't own stock
in Bentley).

The '73 (18v) engine has the timing marks on the upper timing case,
passenger side of the engine.  There may be four or five little tines.
The last one encountered as the engine rotates is TDC, and each other
one is a five degree increment _before_ TDC.  So the one closest to
the midline of the engine is 0 degrees.  I usually set timing
dynamically, with a light, for about 14 degs BTDC at 1200 rpm or so
(with vacuum advance disconnected and plugged).  B distributors are
usually so sloppy that static timing is tricky and not very good.

                        A. B. "RTFM" Bonds