Re: I thought they'd NEVER leave! ;-)

To: PHILIPPE TUSLER <TUSLER@mp050.mv.unisys.com>
Subject: Re: I thought they'd NEVER leave! ;-)
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 16:20:46 -0800
At 01:27 PM 12/11/96 -0800, you wrote:

>  Question: "T" owners - I was working on my dad's TC last weekend,
>trying to find out why it didn't start.  I was spending my time on the
>carburettors and the fuel pump.  It was a REAL PAIN having to open & close
>each side of the hood (bonnet) each time I switched sides.  What do you
>do to have access to both sides?  Not remove the hood completely!?

Phillipe,

There are little props one can buy that will hold both sides of the bonnet
up at the same time in sort of a gull wing configuration.  I made my own out
of thin wall 1/2 inch conduit.  I believe my design is superior because
there's no chance my props can be accidently knocked out.

The purchased props are short, about 18" and sit between the  top of the
battery and the rear bonnet latch hook.  My design is much longer and
extends from the bonnet latch hook to the rear hood latch bracket.  I
flattened one end of the conduit then bent it into a "Z" shape and then
coated it with liquid rubber.  To use I open one side of the bonnet, hook
the "Z" end into the bracket then put the latch hook into the other end of
the conduit.  Repeat on the other side et voila, the MG Gull Wing.  A piece
of foam or a rag between the two bonnet halves will prevent any paint damage
if the bonnet gets bumped.  These two props fit nicely behind the seat back
and don't interfere with either the toneau, hood or sidecurtain storage.

If your interested I can supply you with a more detailed description with
measurements.

Happy Holidays
   ___        \______           Ross MacPherson
  / __ \ __ /       /------|)   arm@unix.infoserve.net
/  (___)---------/ (___)        Vancouver, BC, Canada
 1947 MG-TC 3528                1966 MGB-GT