The Price of British Cars

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: The Price of British Cars
From: "Michael P. Ohleger" <mikeoh@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 14:34:47 -0500
Does anyone know what it is with the price of British cars these days?

I've been watching the ads and looking for just the *right* car and am
surprised to find
prices are all over the map.  As an example, I looked at a'53 MGTD not too long
ago,
that was in what I would call *fine* condition, a step below concours, priced
at
$10,500.  Later on I looked at another, that the owner called  "excellent
condition"
that had rust, bad wood, and a not too quiet *clank* coming from the no. 3
cylinder
priced at $14,500 firm!  MGTD's seem to run anywhere from $6000 to $24,000!

Likewise for MGA's and B's...I own 2 chrome bumper MGB's and paid less than
$2000 for
each of them with in the last 3 years, yet I still see "excellent condition"
*parts
cars* selling for $5 - 6000.  A few years ago AH3000's sold for under $7000,
now a good
one goes for $15 - 18,000...I could go on, and on.

So what's the point?  Does anyone know of a price guide here in the U.S.
similar to what
is found in *Classic and Sports Car* magazine that indexes lbc's and price to
condition?
I find it difficult to tell someone that his price is way out of line when he
knows
that some unwary novice nostalgic buyer will give the guy what he's asking.

I'm still looking for the *right* MGTD....anyone got one for sale?

Cheers,

Michael Ohleger