Re: '76B fuel pump problems

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: '76B fuel pump problems
From: Chris Schroeder <rcs@centrec.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 18:00:31 -0600
At 03:31 PM 12/16/96 -0800, you wrote:
--snip-->
> When I arrived about mid-November, it would try to start; good starter
> action, I recharged the battery, but no THUMP THUMP THUMP from the fuel
> pump.  I checked for power to the terminal and it was there.   Soooo,  I
> figured the pump had crapped out.
> Well, I changed the pump out last night and nothing different occurred.
> So, has anyone been thought something similar to this?
> If so, I'd really appreciate any pointers, tips, hints, better guesses, etc.
> I haven't rolled up my sleeves yet to really tear into this problem.
Thought
> I'd check with this list first.

I had a very similar experience with my wife's '76 'B.  Even though I was
getting power to the terminals on the pump, it was not thoroughly grounded.
 Do some checking and you'll trace the ground wire back to a screw that
holds the lisence plate on.  Be sure that it has contact with metal on the
body and is not sitting on top of paint or corrosion.

Good Luck,
Chris Schroeder
'75 TR6
'76 MGB (wife's)