Re: TD turn signals

To: Steve Tritle <stevet@hbp.com>
Subject: Re: TD turn signals
From: Geoff Love <engconn@pottsville.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 23:14:46 -0500
Steve Tritle wrote:

> Question: I have a 52 TD in which I plan to install turn signals.
> I have the flasher, relay,and switch. The harness is wired for signals.
> What else do I need and what is the procedure to install them?
>
> Do I need special bulbs and any wire to connect the various parts.
>
> Steve
>
> 52TD

 You will need to fit a double filament light bulb holder in each of the
front side lights.  You will also need a regular double filament bulb
for them, and you may find that when you come to fit the bulbs that it
is difficult because the locating pins on the bulbs are staggered,
whereas the holders are not.  Simply file off one of the pins on the
bulb and fit. It is imperative to ensure a good earth connection by the
addition of a third wire from the bolts passing through the wings and
the lights themselves, to a suitable place under the wing. A third
earthing wire is built into the harness for the rear lights, which
already have the double filament type holders on account of the brake
lights. Make sure you scrape the metal to a bright finish before trying
to make a good connection, and then paint over the attachment point in
order to help prevent corrosion.  The flasher unit is usually mounted on
the left side of the tool box, beneath the bonnet and adjacent to the
commission plates.  The relay box is mounted underneath the scuttle on
the back side of the tool box, and the actuating switch can be mounted
in a convenient spot hanging beneath the dash board, where it readily
comes to hand.  A bracket for the purpose is marketed by Moss. The
wiring is straightforward and in accordance with the schematics and
colour coding of the harness you already have.  When you have completed
the wiring, test to see if the lights are brighter for the indicator
than for the side markers at the front, and the tail lights.  If not,
simply rotate the bulb through 180 degrees, and check again. Be careful
when wiring the relay box.  In poor lighting conditions some of the
colour coding on the wiring harness can be easily confused.
 Prior to fitting the switch, test to find out if it returns to the off
position after a suitable period of time.  If necessary, remove the
airbleed wadding at the back, place a few drops of thin oil into the
barrel to lubricate and seal the leather washer, soak the wadding with
the same oil, replace, and adjust the bleed screw to give the desired
effect.

Geoff Love, The English Connection.