Future generations of Restorers

To: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Subject: Future generations of Restorers
From: Larryhoy@aol.com
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 22:34:28 -0500
In a message dated 96-12-18 16:24:28 EST, mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca writes:

> Further to the matter, I believe we will eventually have a problem.  Each
>  year the supply of a finite group of vehicles shrinks.  Many more cars
>  become garage queens with the increasing number of restorations which
>  become "too nice to drive".  In many ways restoration is becoming the
cause
>  of its own death.  I don't have a solution except to state that we are a
>  part of a boomer hobby which I believe will eventually shrink
dramatically,
>  with a corresponding outfall, as we age and no longer are able to
>  participate in the hobby to the fullest extent.  Fathers and mothers teach
>  your children or all is lost! :-

John,

I couldn't agree more  ....  with one slight twist.

When I was young my Dad restored a 1930 Model A Ford, not satisfied with that
he decided he needed a car that looked like the one he drove when he was a
kid.  Next project?  He built a Model A Highboy Roadster.

I restored an MGA, now the MGB.

My son (now 13) thinks he would like a Bugeye (influenced by Dad?) or maybe a
Miata (peer pressure?), but who knows

The future generations will infact restore old cars.  But their "old" cars
will be a different breed than ours.  Perhaps Miatas, Rabbits, or Z cars, and
who can forget that old Viper?

Larry Hoy